Once upon a time Kew had a station (pic HERE ) of lovely architecture... and a railway to go along with it.
It connected to the Lilydale line at Hawthorn and trundled along to Barker station and terminated at Kew, along a route with curves so sharp and dangerous they were noted in the newspaper reports of the official opening in 1897.
By the 1920's there were barely 5 people in each compartment, even in peak times - oh, imagine the luxury today !
For some strange reason all services along the line were discontinued in 1957.
Of course they demolished those lovely old stations too ( the evil peasants! *sob* )
More info on the lost railway line to Kew HERE